|Population||2 mill seed/A|
|Previous Crop||Navy beans|
Soil Test Values (ppm)
1) Evaluate the effects of a drill application of 4 gal/A of Pro-Germinator + 2 qt/A on yield of winter wheat compared to no fertilizer applied, which is the most common treatment option. (2) Evaluate the effects of a fungicide application (Quadris) at fl ag leaf (Feekes stage 10) either alone or with foliar fertilizers. (Note: all treatments received the same topdress application: 12 gal/A High NRG-N + 16 gal/A 28%+eNhance.)
Winter wheat is usually planted right after soybean harvest here in the Upper Midwest, and is usually not fertilized at that time. Later in the growing season, foliar applications of fungicides have often shown yield increases due to suppression of fungal diseases. The application of fungicides presents an excellent opportunity for the inclusion of some crop nutrition. An experiment was conducted to evaluate the above two objectives, and this was the second year of application of these treatments.
For the foliar application, spray volume was at 20 gal/A with Turbo TeeJet nozzles (TJ-03) at a pressure of 60 psi.
Treatment yields appear in the following chart.
- The application of the Pro-Germinator + Micro 500 at planting resulted in a signifi cant yield increase.
- Application of Quadris, Quadris + ferti-Rain and Quadris + NResponse had a larger yield effect on the wheat that received Pro-Germinator + Micro 500 at planting. It is possible that the addition of fertilizer at planting increased yield potential. The presence of the foliar inputs was able to take advantage of wheat that was not limited by lack of nutrition in the fall, whether this was due to larger plants, or better fed.
- The application of the planting-time fertilizer did not seem to have a major effect on the treatment that received no foliar application. There must have been a synergistic effect where the presence of both had a far greater effect than that of either input alone.
Treatment averages from the two years of this experiment appear in the following table.
Effect of Drill-Applied Fertilizer and Foliar Applications on Winter Wheat Yield.
North Central Research Station. 2010-2011
- There was a 7.7 Bu/A advantage per year from the application of the planter-time fertilizer (4 gal/A Pro-Germinator + 2 qt/A Micro 500).
- Addition of ferti-Rain and NResponse to the foliar application of Quadris did result in further yield increase of wheat.